Wicander’s Cork Flooring
Cork comes from the bark of the cork oak tree. It is removed from the trunk by hand without ever damaging the tree. Every year a new bark grows making it a renewable and sustainable resource. Cork is ideal in terms of the ever increasing demand for conservation of natural resources.
The exclusive natural qualities of cork make it ideal to use in flooring as it reduces sound, provides an optimal floor temperature throughout the year and is comfortable to walk on. It has unique and incomparable qualities which no ingenious human has yet managed to copy or improve.
Cork is made of 40 million cells per cm3 resembling a “honeycomb structure” which protects the tree from weather temperatures sharp changes. Each cell functions as a miniature natural thermal insulator and also provides above standard sound insulation and shock absorber properties.
Why choose Cork as an alternative to Hardwoods?
- Easily and quickly installed with the corkloc tongue and groove system
- Environmentally-friendly – cork bark on the tree grows back each year, making it a sustainable and renewable natural resource.
- Healthy – surface finishes do not retain dirt, therefore they do not favour the proliferation of germs and fungi;
- Sound resistant – the softer nature of cork reduces the transmission of sound
- Natural thermal insulation, as well as a high capacity to retain thermal energy
- Comfortable – cork is softer than hardwood floors providing a pleasant surface underfoot.
- Durable and easy to maintain but low impact on the environment.
- Re-usable (in tongue and groove system) or recyclable.